Wednesday, January 16, 2008

At That Moment....

I have been taking photographs since 1976, when I borrowed my sisters 110 Kodak. It has been a task of trying to capture a life time, one moment at a time, with all the feelings, emotions, gestures, expressions, atmosphere, and on and on. Always something more to tell a story with. I love it.
We were at a birthday party for a two year old. Elfida was sitting by the window waiting for the cake to be sliced. Isabelle came up to the window to be next to grandma. It was so easy to click and capture that understanding that has always existed between grandmother and granddaughter. It is there in their expressions, the tilt of their heads, the movement of their mouths, and the connecting of their eyes.


Two brothers were playing catch with a football as I walked out of the house. I waited for the ball to be thrown and followed it with the camera. Usually it takes five of six tries before I can catch an object in midair. This time it was one shot.


Great grandma’s house has always been a very warm cozy place to visit. The porch swing is the gathering point during the hot summers and the cool winters. It is a safe and fear-free zone. A child’s paradise. You eat, play and just lay around while you are at great-grandma’s house. Everything is always peaceful, quite, like every grandma’s house should be. I had finished cleaning up some of the trash out of the truck and was walking back to the house when I saw Lily enjoying the swing, thinking happy thoughts that only a two year old can form. I had to take the picture. I have pictures of both Maiko and Carlos sitting on the same swing also lost in their thoughts. Yes, a child’s paradise created by grand parents Lupe and Juana Almaguer.
I love my camera. So many moments, each a memory captured to be viewed over and over, then shared with others.

No comments: