Friday, March 14, 2008

March Snow

Woke up one March morning to a snow covered playground. Mr. Sun came to visit and play with the snow. He came over my neighbor's roof through my tree and onto my front yard.
But there were no children home. Mr. Bus had come by and taken them all to school. Just another regular school day. All that snow, and no little feet to run, to stomp, no child to make snow angels.
And the snow touched everything. So soft, like.... snow.
But then our door bell rung. It was my child. He had come to visit. Time to get up. Go out. Look, look at all the snow!
Oh, look at the blue sky, the white ground, the empty playground.
look at the lonely tricycle, just waiting for a little girl to play with.
Ah but look at the foot prints of my child. Yes, they are big, but they are my son's foot prints. It was a special snow fall after all. I remembered my other son, so far away. Looking up at the flag pole, I noticed the Marine Corps flag had suffered through the night. I lowered it and took it inside. My wife would mend it by hand. It will go up again.
My son and I went to town on this snowy day. Harbor Tools had a sale on its tools. It was almost like Christmas for grown men. We left with a shopping cart full!!! Drills, work benches, electronic fly swatters, nail guns, etc. It is good to have sons.

No comments: