Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 5 - Going to Colorado

We slept late till about 0800 AM and then went back to a Mexican restaurant we had been to the day before. The food was very good and the prices were reasonable. Roje liked the friendly waitresses there. After eating Dora and Elfida looked at the map and picked a route to Colorado. We were about 8 miles out of Santa Fe when they decided they wanted to go through Taos so we turned around went back to Santa Fe and then north.

We made it to the Rio Grande again and stopped. It was carrying more water this time and we couldn't find a way down to its bank.

I found this relative of the dandelion. It was huge!! I tried to climb the side of one of the hills but it was too steep and the rocks to loose. There were to many prickly plants too and I didn't want to slide into them.


We stopped at a tourist center and as I was walking to the building I saw this cloud growing from behind the hills. It was awesome. It kept getting bigger and bigger. You could actually see it growing.


We took a detour just past Taos, Dora and Elfida insisted on letting Sam see the Royal Gorge, but I think they just wanted to go buy hand made jewelry from the vendors that sell their stuff there at the bridge. Anyways I found this two butterflies and spent about 10 minutes trying to get a perfect shot. I never did because a crow came over insisting that I feed it.


This is the guy. He was very aggressive and persistent that I fed it. He came up to within a foot of me and I would put the camera right to its head. He started scratching just like our parrot use to do. Boy he needed some lotion on them feet. Now I know why they call wrinkles next to the eyes "crow feet".


Yeah, he got close enough that I was able to photograph the inside of its mouth. I had never seen the inside of a crow's mouth. Interesting.


It took us about six hours to travel about 200 miles. We stopped at too many places. We finally made it to Colorado!!
Elfida was stretching her legs by taking a walk along the interstate. Now she can say she walked from New Mexico to Colorado.
We were talking about the Huerfano and telling Same about it. Roje insisted we had passed it already. When we saw it he made a bet with Elfida that we had passed it already and that this one wasn't it. So we stopped at its marker. Roje lost the bet.


I remember this long dirt roads that lead to the farms from when we use to come work in the fields. A little past this road we saw a bear on the side of the road. By the time I made a U-turn he had disappear. We made it to Denver at about 0930 PM. We did stop to eat before getting to Denver and broke the "no burgers" rule. We were to tire to eat at a regular restaurant.

to be continued....


1 comment:

Carolyn said...

AWESOME vacation!!! But I want to know if you gave that crow some food!!! We just returned from our 2 week vacation so check it out!