Saturday, November 1, 2008

The run, Oct. 26, 2008

We were there by 06:00 AM. It was chilly but not like last year. Elfida was in charge of photography and the run started at 07:30 AM. This year we didn't get to drive the course and we didn't have a map, so she had to get photos at the start and at the end only.

I had my sunglasses on but once we made the first turn around the sun was to my back and the humidity was going up. My glasses kept fogging up so I took them of. I ran the 13.1 miles with out them.

Dora was just behind me running with a small group of women. The first part of the run was easy. Nothing but flat roads. We were still with in view of most of the runners. This made it easy to keep a fast pace.

This was Elfida's last photo of me before meeting us at the finish line. I was feeling good. I didn't train enough but I knew finishing would be easy, the question was - How much slower this year?



Dora had pulled away from the group as she made it past Elfida. Dora's running pace was about the same as last years. Once we made it into Cameron Park we ran into too many hills. Boy, that ate up my legs. While running through Pecan Bottoms I got bit by a mosquito on my leg. Either that was a very hungry mosquito or I was running too slow.

I was about half a mile from the finish line when a female runner caught up to me. I had passed her at about the 3rd mile. She was in her mid 40's and about 30-40 lbs. over weight. I picked up the pace for about 200 feet, but she kept going and going and going.... and passed me. Anyways, I crossed the finish line with 2:12:24 on the clock. My official chip time was 2:12:14. The microchip they give you records the time you run across the starting line and then the finish line.

Dora was just a few minutes behind me. She actually gained about 7 minutes on me this year. She came across with the clock showing 2:18:40.

And Yes!! This year we did get the half marathon medals. Last year I complained about them not giving participation medals to those of us who ran the marathon as a relay team and guess what? This year they gave participation to medals to all the relay runners.

This is the only photo on this post that I took that day. Well, Dora placed Third in her age level and got another medal. It was more painful to run this year because I had trained less. Last year we went and ate after the run. This year we went home and I had a bowl of frozen fruit and three Ibuprofen!!! Old age sucks.

One last photo. Dora took this one. Elfida, my photographer, and I.

No comments: