Wednesday, March 21, 2007

My wife, my only love

I saw my wife for the first time out of the second story window of Miners Hall at UTEP. She had just arrived in El Paso from Pecos. That was almost 30 years ago, she was wearing a white blouse, blue jeans, no makeup. I didn't meet her for another four or five months although I would see her at the dorms. She was beautiful. The first time I had a real conversation with her was in January of 1978. She was sick with a cold, I went with her to the grocery store and bought her some oranges. We dated while at UTEP and when the summer came I left for Eagle Pass and she for Barstow. She called a few time and we wrote to each other. I left for L.A. looking for summer work so I could continue paying my way through college. A few months later on my way back home I took a detour to Barstow, Texas, and picked up Elfida. We were married later that year. She is the only girl I ever told I loved. She is still the only woman I love.
When I was away from her, I could close my eyes at night and see her beautiful brown eyes. What use to puzzle me before I knew her was that she almost never smiled. When I was going out with her that was one of the questions I had to ask her. She said she had never noticed that she didn't smile. She has a beautiful smile and a soft sweat voice. She always looked younger that she was. Even after she had our two sons, people still mistook her for a teenager. She has aged very slowly.
My favorite time is spent sitting at home with her. She reads and I surf the Internet on my computer. Ever so often I reach over and hold her hand. I love knowing that she is there next to me. When our boys were little we use to all sit on one recliner and watch TV. After they grew up they would still come into our room in the morning and clime into bed with us. Sometimes we sit in bed and look at the pictures of our kids and us through the years. I have most of our pictures loaded on my laptop. Its been many many years that we have been together. She smiles a lot. I think having our sons gave her a big reason to smile more often. Late at night, when she sleeps and I sit watching TV or typing on my computer, I stop and listen to her breathing, look at her and notice how little she has changed in so many years. I reach over and touch her hand; she squeezes my hand without waking up.
During the day, while I sleep she is at work. I can roll over to her pillow and smell her essence on that pillow. I awake and miss not having her next to me. I close my eyes and see her beautiful brown eyes, her smile....
I don't know what being hurt is. I have never know a broken heart. I married the only girl I ever loved.... about 30 years ago.

1 comment:

Kimberley McGill said...

Almi,

First I want to thank you for the comment you left at Tender Thistles. Your words are supportive and kind.

You have such a beautiful family! And your love for them shines right through cyberspace. The pictures you took for your Post Visible age are very nice. What kind of camera do you use?

Take Care,
Kimbeley McGill