Thursday, November 29, 2007

Some old Photos

I carry my camera just about all the time. I take hundreds of photos of people, places, structures, events, landscapes, etc. I take some just because and some because people ask me to. We were in Lubbock, Texas, when I saw my wife, my sister and cousins comparing the nail polish on their toes. One of them asked me to take a picture, so I took a picture.
Then at my niece's wedding I saw them comparing shoes. This time I just went up and took the picture. Then they compared nail polish on their fingers and I got a picture of that too. I liked the pictures because they caught a ritual that these ladies do when ever they are together. It is not a competition but more of an act of sisterhood. Something that is a common bond among them.
I don't think any of those hands do a lot of dish washing.
One day we are driving down the road in Colorado and we see this rainbow. We can see where it starts and were it ends. We pulled over and got out to take pictures. Its beginning was right there, right in front of us. Right next to the power pole. I was so glad I had the camera with me.
We were on a train ride in New Mexico when we rode by this painted tree. Some creative person with lots of paint and time walked through here before us. I wonder if this person walked by saw the dead tree and decided to come back carrying paint and painting the tree. Maybe this person had the paint with then while walking looking for something to paint and this tree just happened to be there.

We were at my sisters house sitting around a fire. I took this picture, okay, I took about four pictures at different speeds and apertures before I got the shot I wanted. It looks like Sam is on fire, so cool.
I was driving south of Hewitt when I stopped to take a picture of a field with a single tree in the middle. When I looked down I saw a cactus with its prickly pears just starting out. They looked like miniature green star bursts.
I went for a walk one day while visiting family in Woodrow, Texas, and came upon this mud puddle. The mud reflected the blue sky and power pole like a crystal mirror. Funny how mud, brown wet mud can give back such a clear reflection.
We were in Piedras Negras and my wife, my sister and cousins stopped to look at some pottery. I found this odd couple sitting in the bright December sunshine.
We were exploring the Chimayo Church area in New Mexico. Many visitors had come before us asking for a miracle, help, hope, or just giving thanks. They left their rosaries, different colors. I wonder how long they remain there.
Some times I go through the many photos in my computer, there are thousands of them. Each a moment in life... in time....a very short moment.



No comments: