Monday, December 3, 2007

Pictures around Waco


Okay, here are some pictures taken around the Waco area. You may have seen these sights while driving, walking, biking, chasing a bad guy or running from the police!
The Waco Suspension Bridge is a beautiful structure that has been there for many years. Countless people have walked across it, some have taken their picture on it. But if you walk under the bridge at the north end you will see a clown face painted on the brick. It has been there at least for the past 15 years. The first time I saw it was when we were on bike patrol and we use to check the area for people smoking dope.
If you follow Pantherway north of Hewitt Dr. until it ends you will come upon this bridge. The railroad crosses over. It is an old brick structure. I don't know much about it. We found it about 16 years ago while bike riding. Carlos was about six or five years old. It was before they built Texas Central Pkway all the way to Bagby. I took this picture at about 8:00 in the morning using a small tripod and the timer on the camera.
This one was taken at about 8:30 am on Old Mars Drive just before you get to Texas Central Dr. I was biking through the area on a very hazy day. The sunlight was really defused and you could almost look straight at it. This made the power poles look like giants walking in formation. I pulled over and took a series of shots. This is the one I liked.

I photoshopped this one. I added the lighting. I took the picture at the cemetery on IH 34 just north of Sun Valley. It was on Memorial Day in 06. Maiko and Amy picked me up and we went to the ceremony they had there. When the burglar started to play Taps I walked around the crowd making my way out to where he was. About six months later I saw him at one of the Marine Corp events in Waco and asked him for his home address. I took him a framed copy of a picture which I also photoshopped by inserting his image along with the image of another veteran that was there at the ceremony.
When Maiko started working at the jail, he and some of his co-workers would meet after work and play football. This is about 09:00 am on a Wednesday in the field behind the day care center at N. 4Th and Washington. I played football with them for about 15 minutes, then figured I was a better photographer than a football player and went back to taking pictures. That is the St. Francis church in the background. You can see the chain link fence they put up around the sink hole.
One day I talked Elfida into going with me while I took pictures. It was about 5:00 pm in January of 06 and the wind was blowing about 20 miles an hour. It was cold! Well, she got out of the truck once and then decided it was took cold. I drove down to Cameron Park figuring that the wind wouldn't be blowing too hard there. I was wrong. The river funneled it very well. The city was repairing the low water dam and had lowered the river. That is the Waco Dr. bridge and Hilton visible in the background.


I have a library card for the Waco library and would go to check out DVDs and CDs at the one on N. 18th and Austin. I was walking out of the building when I saw this homeless woman dumpster diving. I snapped the picture and then watched her for a while. She was looking for aluminium cans.
Maiko, Carlos and I use to go to this place to get our haircut. Mondays and Tuesdays Janie's charged $5 for a haircut. I quit going this year after she got sick and couldn't cut hair for a couple of months. Maiko still goes there. I now go to a barber on Valley Mills. Its a shorter drive from Hewitt. Her place is located at about the 3100 or 3200 block of N. 19th.
This is St. Francis of Assisi in the courtyard of the St. Francis church at N. 3rd and Jefferson Ave. He stands in the shade of a huge old oak tree. Maiko and Amy got married in this church. We use to attend church her but it was always too crowded and too far away from our house. Some times I would just go straight from work to church and meet Elfida, Maiko and Carlos. It was easier for me to stay awake in the morning than to go home sleep for a couple of hours and then get up and go to church. Carlos liked going to the Spanish mass.
This fountain is located at the entrance to the courtyard. I shot the photo through the iron gate. It is a working fountain which is used by the birds as a bath.
A group of Waco Police recruits run for their morning physical training. St. Francis glows in the early morning sunlight. I photographed the inside of the church and the relief on the outside. It is beautiful work. I will post the photos some day.


The reason I posted this photos was because I read in the newspaper about the Ritchie Road bridge being torn down. At the beginning of this year I went out and photographed it. Tonight I was looking for those pictures and got sidetracked looking at this ones. Oh well, I will find them and post them later.



No comments: