Friday, June 27, 2008

Almaguer Road Trip 2008

I got out of work at 07:00 AM. I got home expecting everybody to be ready to go. People were just getting out of bed. I fed the dogs and gave them fresh water. We started loading up the truck and managed to get out of Waco by 09:30. Our trip had stared. Roje drove first and Sam took the second shift. I slept taking a few pictures when ever I woke up in between naps.
We stopped at Clovis, New Mexico, to take a potty break and stretch out. We had gone through a rain storm just before coming into the town. The temperature went from 97 degrees to 67 degrees with in 15 minutes. It sure felt good.
Sam was driving down highway 84 when I saw an old church off to one side of the road. Sam made a U-turn and we were off on our first exploration. It was an old abandoned wooden structure that had been a church many years ago. The congregation long gone and the sermons silent for many years. It was in the town of Tiaban, New Mexico.
Sam did a thorough search of the base boards where the alter had once been. The old wooden floor was rotting, but still strong enough to hold our weight. When it was built there must have been no electricity there. The switches and outlets had been wired years later so they were on the outside of the walls.
Some other explorers less responsible that ourselves had left their mark on the wall.

It was still a very pretty building. It has aged gracefully and stands with much dignity.
I set my camera on the bed of the truck and set the automatic timer on. It took three tries before I manage to run from the truck all the way to the stairs and be sitting down before the camera took the picture. Dora, Elfida, Roje, Sam and I, the explorers for the 2008 Almaguer Road Trip.
I took this photo in Ft. Sumner, New Mexico. I slept the rest of the trip until we made it to Santa Fe. It was a long 13 hour drive. We located our hotel after making Sam drive in circles for about 30 minutes. Everyone was tired so we walked a couple of hundred yards to the Applebee's and had dinner. After dinner it was time to crash out and get rested for tomorrow's adventure.
Oh yeah, Sam did violate the rule of Road Trips of never listening to directions from a rear seat passanger!

1 comment:

Jillski said...

I love the photos. They bring back such memories. When I was little my sister told me scary stories about that old church building in Tiban. I was scared to death of it. I grew up about 19 miles from Clovis.