Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Old TV program "The Rookies"

A few weeks ago I bought a DVD Titled “The Greatest 70’s Cop Shows”, It has the first episode for “The Rookies”, “Charlie’s Angels”, “S.W.A.T.”, “Police Woman”, and “Starsky and Hutch”.I just finished watching the first episode of “The Rookies” which aired on Sept. 11, 1972. “Concrete valley, neon sky”, has the rookies dealing with the inner city gang problem. Although they talk about the gang members as juveniles, they all look like they were in their late 20’s or early 30’s. The show takes place in the city of Southern California. The characters were named Terry Webster, Willie Gillis, Mike Danko and his wife Jill Danko. Kate Jackson, who was a lot better looking in this show than she was in “Charlie’s Angels”, played Jill. Oh yeah, they didn't have a Sgt. only Lt. Ryker.
I was almost 12 when this show started. I was attending 5th grade at the Sam Houston Elementary School. It was located at the old Brazero processing center in Eagle Pass, Texas. I liked the show, okay, I liked all the cop shows on TV then, but I don’t have any one episode that stands out in my memory about the “Rookies”. I don’t even remember ever watching this episode.Well, I guess street gangs only existed in large cities in the early 70’s. I am sure I would have been impressed back then with the tough hoods that came out in this episode. They sure were a lot friendlier looking then than the hoods from now. They all looked like construction workers.
This was not a great episode, but it was fun watching it and seeing how little TV has change in its portrayal of what police work is suppose to be. Oh well….

No comments: